Monday, July 5, 2010

The Fourth of July and Flags

For me in Southern California it never feels as if Summer has really begun until the 4th of July.  Maybe it is because the weather is so lousy here in June.  Even this morning I look outside my window and see a gray sky and fog. Where I live, which is a couple of miles from the ocean, the sun usually doesn't even come out until mid-day....so to those who are experiencing the heat wave back East...I envy you!
Luckily the foggy weather didn't put a damper on the fabulous 4th of July party that I went to last night.  Every summer my super chic friend Lillian hosts a party in her beautiful Brentwood backyard.  Like usual she served the traditional American menu of hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, etc. The house was gorgeous, the food was delicious and most importantly the people were friendly and fun.  And she had a terrific view of the fireworks.
So what did I wear....I though you'd never ask. (I'm getting to be like Wendy B with these 'what I wore posts' aren't I?)
Red, white and blue of course with a long dress in blue with white piping, red satin sandals with sparkly jewel-y things on them, and vintage Jean Mahie ruby and diamond jewelry in 22K.
Here is the detail of the ruby an diamond pendant, dangle earrings, chains, cuff bracelet and ruby rings.
And you know where it all came from...since I kinda love the one of a kind sculptural designs of Mahie Jewelry, and the bright color of 22K gold, I'm sorta thinking about going all Mahie all the time this summer.
And on the subject of the 4th of July, where we can proudly display our flags, I wanted to show you these photos from the Naval Air Station in Rota Spain.  Because the US military base is on Spanish territory as a tenant of Spain, the Americans are only allowed 4 days a year, from July 1st to the 4th, to fly the stars and stripes.  So every July 1st, there is a flag raising ceremony attended by all four branches of the military.




There is nothing like being based in a foreign country, even a fabulous one like Spain, to make you appreciate the 4th of July and the freedom to fly the flag.
Nice photos, aren't they?

Oh and in case you missed it, here is THE BEST 4th of July blog post by Tabitha at Bourban & Pearls.
Enjoy!