Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Marie Claire - Oh The Inanity

I have kind of a love hate thing going with Marie Claire magazine...which I have always viewed as a wannabe feminist fashion magazine. In addition to Tim Gunn who I adore, and some nicely shot fashion editorials followed by a 'look for less' types of montages, it has the usual articles about books, music, movies, careers and of course sex. As if every empowered young woman needs to read articles like "My Life in a Harem" because being a hooker for the Sultan of Brunei could be a viable career choice or "How I Planned A Menage A Trois" because apparently not all young women learned how to do that in college.



By now I assume that all of you have read about Marie Claire's 'daring' cover shot of Jessica Simpson posed without make-up.There can be no debate, Jessica Simpson is certainly a very attractive woman. Still I'm betting that there was some photoshop in some of her pictures because really...nothing gets published without it.

And on the topic of publishing, in the article "What I love About Me" where Ms Simpson meets up with "real women" on the streets of Los Angeles and discusses what features they like about themselves. With 31 year old Shalini Patel we get this exchange:

SP: I'm fairly proud of my boobs.
JS: Me too! But I grew up wearing sports bras because I was so embarrassed. Now my breasts are like an accessory.

like an accessory, did she really say that?

God knows she has a great rack. And despite her huge net worth, she's no rocket scientist, so I'm guessing that she really did make that ridiculous remark.

But what I want to know is why Marie Claire would choose to publish something so completely inane?